School Closure due to Severe Weather
Carlton Primary will always try to remain open during a period of wintry weather. However I have a responsibility to assess if the school site has safe access, before and after school, for our families and also whether there are sufficient staff to guarantee the safety and well being of the pupils. (Many of our staff live considerable distances from Carlton)
If closure is necessary
- A decision will be taken as early as possible but usually on the morning of the closure. Any delay will often be as a result of awaiting news about journeys from our staff.
- I will communicate with families via our TEXT service. Please ensure that the school office are regularly updated with new phone numbers.
- I will post a message on the front page of our school website.
- I have to notify the Education Authority who verify the closure, then contact radio Leeds/Aire for inclusion in their bulletins (sometimes contact can be difficult so please do not rely on this method of communication)
- I will liaise with The Den who will then inform their families of their intended actions.
I am very aware of the disruption a closure causes to working families. Please be assured that I will only close the school in exceptional circumstances where your child’s safety is the primary concern.